Kip, Angie, Noah and Lily

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Hogan is a true warrior

Jesus also used this illustration: "The Kingdom of Heaven is like yeast used by a woman making bread. Even though she used a large amount of flour, the yeast permeated every part of the dough." Matthew 13:33 NLT

Hogan, you may be a small ingredient in this world but you are making a huge impact. I know because your little body and spirit has changed my life forever. You are a special gift from God. Thank you God for another day with Hogan. Angie and I are so thankful for this blessing.


Dear Hogan,

Wow, what an amazing day! I understand why you are so tired. I know today doesn't compare to the drama that unfolded yesterday but life on the outside is tough.

I enjoyed sleeping in you room last night. Thank you for letting me sleep with you. I think this "guys night out" thing upstairs in the NICU is pretty fun. We don't have anything to distract us up here. I also enjoyed being able to feed you for the first time by myself last night before we went to bed. Although you aren't eating much it feels so good to know you are getting something to eat. I feel like I am living in a dream. A dream that I hope will keep going. I will never forget these days we are sharing together.

I know you were happy when your mom was able to come up to feed you this morning. She was a beautiful sight for my eyes too. I knew where you got your good looks but I thought you got your toughness from me. I am certain you got your good looks and your toughness from your mom though!

I was sorry that you couldn't digest your food to well this morning. They tell me that this isn't too uncommon for Trisomy babies. Nurse Lisa is working with you though. She is doing her best to get your systems working they way they need to work. Your mom and I gave up our afternoon "holding time" because you got to get your first bath!! I love a good hot bath sometimes and I really thought you would like it too. I think your mom and I quickly realized that you might not be a bath fan. Although you are packed with lots of power your smaller frame doesn't allow you body to warm like normal babies so we have to keep you under heat constantly. I don't blame for liking the warmth though. It does feel pretty good when I put my hands under your warm air.

Your mother and I wanted to hold you tonight but we realize that you have had a stressful day and we don't want to stress you out any more right now. We want you to get some rest. Your heart is working hard. I forgot to tell you yesterday that Dr. "V" told us that you had a large heart relative to the rest of your body. I thought that was a little ironic. I think lots of people know you have a huge heart Hogan!

I was glad that I was up here to see your new best friend nurse Lisa before she left for the night. She was trying to catch nurse Amanda up on all of your situation and woke you up. It was a bad thing that she woke you up but a good thing that you are showing emotion! You were so mad after your bath today and you were a little angry at nurse Lisa for a few minutes. I can't tell you how much it meant that she stayed around to make sure you were stable and happy again before she left to go home. She loves you so much Hogan. Nurse Lisa decorated your window in your room today and she also got foot and fingerprints of you for us. You should see your window from the other side.. wow! It is awesome.

Hogan, it seems that more and more people are praying for you. I can't wait to read you the messages from today. Your mother and I are so proud of you and enjoy them too! We are so blessed. We are so happy you are here. We are thankful for this day. God is using you Hogan. Everyone has told me how good they think you look. I think you are a good looking little man too. I believe everyone is impressed with all of the cool accessories you are wearing! I know the cords are not fun to wear but they are necessary right now. Let's just take one step at a time and let's beat some more odds.

Nurse Amanda weighed you tonight. You are now under 3 lbs. I am the one that needs to lose some pounds Hogan, not you!! There is one thing for sure. You are a lean, mean, fighting, warrior machine! Let's get back together again tomorrow night about the same time and place. I love watching you sleep so peacefully. Good Night Hogan.

I love you.



12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates. We continue to lift Hogan as we praise God for all of the lives that sweet child is touching this Easter Season.

    Happy Easter to your precious family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kip and angie... i tried to post a comment on hogans bday-but it got lost! i am praying for you guys and for Hogan every day. God is doing amazing things and you are showing the beauty of God's grace in your words. thank you so much for being so transparent and for letting us in to experience Hogan with you. He, you two and noah and lily are so loved and are so special. trusting in His goodness-laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Hogan!
    I woke up early and was of course thinking of YOU!! Happy Easter and thank you for just being "you." You have amazing parents and family and I am so honored to get to witness your sweet story!! We love you!
    Bryan, Lara, and Ella (She doesn't care how much you weigh...she still tells us you are in the "big boy club!"--I agree!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you guys! I check the blog every morning for an update on little Hogan and am so blessed by reading it and seeing the pictures. He is a precious gift from God. We continue to pray for all of you! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful blessing from God. Happy first Easter, Hogan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just couldn't wait to hear about Hogan's birth. I am so glad you have been able to experience his precious little life. Thank you for passing on your journey. What a blessing it has been. What a joy to know on this day that we serve a risen Savior!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a blessed Easter I know you guys must be having. Kip, Angie, Noah and Lily, Hogan is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! This blog grabbed my attention a couple months ago, and now sweet Hogan has captured my heart! He is such a true miracle for y'all and I feel blessed to be able to follow his journey. Just tell him to keep up the good work....I plan on following his progress for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so happy you're here Baby Hogan ...and thriving with life. Our prayers continue to be with you and your precious family.
    love,
    Tracy Pollock

    ReplyDelete
  9. We said a prayer for Hogan and your family in our Sunday School class today. Happy first Easter Hogan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hogan is such a beautiful baby! I just want you and Angie to know that I have been praying for Hogan constantly this weekend. I am one of Lara's best friends (I live in Valdosta) and she has kept me updated on Hogan's journey. (I met Angie at Lara's baby shower a few years back.) I am so happy that God has blessed you with this special time with Hogan. Thank you for sharing his sweet story with us. Please know that my husband and I will continue to pray for strength for you and your precious baby boy!
    Morgan and Grant Barry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hogan is an inspiration - all of you are in my prayers!

    Susan Bogardus

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for you guys! I don't know you all but your story has touched my heart deeply. My husband is friends with you sister Deb! Amazing Little Miracle he is! Thanks for sharing your journey with us!
    Kerry Wicker (Dublin)

    ReplyDelete